Monday, December 28, 2009

insomnia

So I couldn't fall asleep and so opened my laptop and found Joel Derfner's blog on the interwebz, which he has been keeping since 2002. I first read about him in the Harvard Voice's gayest issue ever, and thought, "cool, I'll get to read about the experiences he wrote about in Swish, but in real-time, so to speak." well, turns out this is the most hilarious thing I've seen all day, and it's a fascinatingly weird blog to read because I'm reading about all this casual sex done in the context of searching for love.

What? you say. Yeah, he has a great comedic voice. And a great sense of irony and his place in the world. Self-awareness. And he redacts identifying information and identifies people only by initials - I'm saying this because I started reading the most recent posts first, in which he mentions an E.S. as the boyfriend, and the first posts have an E.S. as well, but one with whom he broke up and about whom he constantly complained of being fat. Naturally, the question that follows: is this the same E.S.? I've only gotten about a year into the 7-year-old archives, so we'll see!

Well, anyway, the original point of this post was to complain about this smell in my room. It's been driving me crazy this last hour. My mom poured me some whiskey while we were watching The Lives of Others and I didn't finish it because she gave me a ton which is cool but not when I'm trying to watch a dialogue-heavy movie. so I finished it after the movie, but I carried the glass (yes, my mom gave me whiskey in a wine glass - what is wrong with my family?) up to my room and put it on the nightstand by my bed. And for all the people who have been to my house - I have my little brother's room now so the ventilation isn't as good, and this information probably plays a roll in this anecdote or maybe not, I'm just complaining here for a bit. Anyway, even though the glass the empty, I can still smell the whiskey, and it's driving me crazy. at least it isn't Jack. In that case, I may be reminded of a dashing Italian and burning popcorn and then my unfortunate night-before-Veteran's-Day.

[edit] an hour later, I'm still up and can't fall asleep, and I'm still smelling the whiskey. It's got to be in my mind at this point. In any case, I found out that E.S. is one and the same. Ha! I think my roving mind can let me sleep now. In any case, I have to be up in 7 hours, so I should get cracking on that zzzzzz.

2 comments:

  1. Which should have been obvious! Who uses the same acronym for two different people?

    ReplyDelete