Tuesday, August 17, 2010

movies to watch

--at least, ones that I'm excited to watch, no matter the ticket prices in Boston! After a pretty empty summer of films, I have a pretty long list of enticing movies (and two documentaries!) to close out 2010.

BLACK SWAN


Trailer released today. Looks amazing. Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassel, with whom I fell in love in Eastern Promises. And of course, Darren Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors. I was surprised to see Mila Kunis opposing Portman in the trailer--I thought she was the most interesting thing about The Book of Eli.




NEVER LET ME GO


Other than the most beautiful three co-stars ever assembled--Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, and Kiera Knightley--the atmosphere looks haunting and seeks to pull at all the right heartstrings. I didn't adore the book like most people did, but it was good and I'm excited for the movie.


THE TOWN

Other than the fact that I saw part of this being filmed, and so desperately want to watch to see if I can see those scenes in the final cut, I enjoyed Ben Affleck's directorial debut (Gone Baby Gone) enough to watch The Town based on his involvement alone. Plus, I love most of the cast assembled.


WAITING FOR 'SUPERMAN'

Ever since I read Jonathan Kozol's The Shame of the Nation as a junior in high school (more than three years ago now!) I've been interested in education reform in the US. Can't wait to see what this (very lauded) documentary says about the current system.


THE SOCIAL NETWORK

I got a copy of this movie's script last year, when it was widely leaked on the net. Since this movie is about my school, after all, I was immediately intrigued and hooked. It's a great story. And the trailer rocks. Also--Andrew Garfield again. You can never get too much of the next Spiderman, can you? And another up and coming actor--Rooney Mara, aka (just announced!) Lisbeth Salander, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I remember her from Youth in Revolt.


MAO'S LAST DANCER

Despite their depressing nature, I can't get enough of Cultural Revolution China-era films. One of my favorite movies of all time is Farewell My Concubine, if that tells you anything. I'm skeptical of the romance in this trailer, but everything else looks beautifully done, and reviews have been generally positive.


CONVICTION

Hilary Swank, Minnie Driver, Mellisa Leo, Juliette Lewis, Peter Gallagher. (Gallagher has been cast as James' father in the film adaptation of Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You, which I loved. I can't express how much I anticipate that movie...) And Sam Rockwell, who I thought was so powerful in Moon. More: this trailer uses the "I'm Lincoln" track from Steve Jablonsky's score of The Island! That is one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever. (To be fair, though, many trailers and ads use that piece. See Avatar.)


LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS

Director Edward Zwick's follow up to Defiance, Blood Diamond, and The Last Samurai looks to be the fall's best romantic comedy. I guess he's drawing on his Legend of the Fall roots. In any case, Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway reunite (Brokeback Mountain).


SECRETARIAT

Anyone who's known me since I was little knows how much I am in love with Thoroughbred horse racing. Thus I thought it fitting to end with this Penny Chenery biography, which assembles a fantastic cast and features the story of one of my favorite horses of all time. Secretariat was the first Triple Crown winner in what was then the longest period between winners (25 years--second only to right now! It's been 32 years since Affirmed in 1978).

I wonder how much of Calumet Farm and Sham are going to be included in this biopic. Secretariat set and holds the record still in the Derby (and perhaps the Preakness) and the Belmont, the latter of which he won by a stunning, breathtaking, overpowering 31 lengths. (You can see footage of the real Penny Chenery. He is moving like a tremendous machine! This is a record which may never be broken!)

Anyway, this movie is my childhood dream come true. It's a story of impending doom, bluebood and royalty, celebrity (Who is the only celebrity to have appeared on the covers of TIME, Newsweek, and Sports Illustrated at the same time?), dominance, and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment